In a few days we will be landing in Marseilles, France. It’s a little surreal that you can be on the French Riviera in Europe on the other side of the world in just one day, your whole environment completely changed in a few hours.
We are house sitting near Toulouse for a few weeks (4 dogs and 4 chickens), then driving down the picturesque coast of Southern France, then taking the train to magical Venice, Italy. Next we’ll drive through Slovenia and Croatia to the 16 cascading lakes at Plitvice Falls and back up the Croatian coast of Istria, then take the train to a village in the Austria Alps, through Southern Germany, on to Vienna, Austria, and finally to Budapest, Hungary where we’ll also take a short riverboat cruise up the Danube.
We’re not used to travelling in such developed places, so we’ll see what this adventure brings. Perhaps it will be a vow never to travel to touristy places, or maybe a promise that we must go back. Either way it’s going to be exciting…
What we’re looking forward to:
1. Food… glorious… sumptuous… luscious… food…
2. House Sitting in a foreign country
3. Going places by Train
4. Quaint Villages and towns
5. Fabulous Coastal views
6. Exploring New Places
7. Meeting New People
8. The Smells and Sounds of each Place
9. Feeling the Ancientness of Europe
10. Getting Lost
What we’re not looking forward to:
1. Hordes of People/Sky-rises in populated areas
2. Driving through Big Busy Cities
3. Driving a Manual Transmission – almost impossible to get an automatic transmission in Europe, unless you’re willing to pay triple the price
4. Being Over-Scheduled – we have had to pre-book many things because they would be sold out otherwise
5. Stepping in Chicken Poop
6. Chasing Runaway Dogs
7. Breaking the Budget!
Now I have to get packing…